By Christopher Curry
In a room named for their late son, Horst and Luisa Ferrero stood before a crowd of UF Health Shands Hospital staff, community leaders and media and recalled a day seven years ago.
On that day in October 2007, they brought 3-year-old Sebastian, a happy, healthy boy who was short for his age, to the Pediatric Clinic at the Shands Medical Plaza for routine tests to determine if he had a growth hormone disorder.
During those tests, Sebastian received a dose of the amino acid arginine that was more than 10 times the correct amount, a tragic error that went unnoticed by hospital staff because of a series of “preventable medical mistakes,” Horst Ferrero said.
Two days later, Sebastian Ferrero died.
Read full article here: http://www.gainesville.com/article/20140903/ARTICLES/140909857?p=1&tc=pg